Prestwich Golf Club originated as the MANCHESTER GYMKHANA CLUB in 1897 based at Hilton Lodge, which remained the Clubhouse until 1991. The Gymkhana club was a colonial gentlemen’s club offering a range of sports centred on bowls and lawn tennis. It was in 1902 that land was purchased around the clubhouse and a nine hole course was constructed. In 1906 the course was extended to 18 holes and in 1908 the Club changed its name to PRESTWICH GOLF CLUB and was registered with the R & A as a golf Club.
The course has developed over the years, as has the clubs reputation as one of the friendliest in the North West. The old clubhouse was replaced in 1991.
In 2019 the course is being completely redesigned and extended onto new ground that has been in the ownership of the club for over 20 years.